In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Museum at Portland Head

Fourth order Fresnel lens

Contributed by Museum at Portland Head
MMN Item 13468 Item Details
Fourth order Fresnel lens
MMN Item 13468 Zoom

Description

Fourth order Fresnel lens, unknown origin, same size of the original Fresnel lens that was installed by 1864 into Portland Head Light. It would have originally housed a kerosene lamp. Fresnel lenses were classified by order referring to the strength of light emitted. These ranged from Huge first – order lenses, which were visible to twenty-one miles, to smaller sixth- and seventh-order lenses, which were visible at lesser distances. Lenses of the second and fourth order were used at Portland Head Light. The lenses, combined with changes in the design of the lanterns that held them, vastly improved the navigational lighting system.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.